Saturday 3 March 2012

21st C Librarian.........
When I look at this image I see a Librarian. I see a woman with a purpose. Here she is, carefully selecting books for those who frequent her quiet spaces, looking for a place of solitude to research and learn about the world beyond their borders and their lifetimes. Her main concern is print material, lots of it! Books, newspapers, magazines, journals, documentations, and so the list goes on. I can almost hear her, humming away (silently of course!), as she busies herself with the endless tasks of locating, shelving, accessioning, repairing and re-shelving that make up her days.
Fast forward......2012......
What exactly does the 21st Century Librarian look like?
That, dear reader, is the point of this blog. I am on the journey to becoming a certified Teacher Librarian in a primary school and to be completely honest.....my head is spinning! Gone are the stereotypes. Teacher Librarians are required to do HEAPS more than just deal with print material and be experts at shushing people.
There's computers, the internet, Interactive Whiteboards, iPads, iPods, mobile phones, e-books, kindles, smartboards.....
Talk about information overload!
How can anyone navigate all these devices to find what they need, when they need it and then determine if it can be trusted?
I'm pretty sure that's where I come in.
Apparently, by the time I finish this course, I will be the one teaching others how to find what they need and how to work out if it's reliable. Hmmmm........Well, here goes!


5 comments:

  1. Loved your post!

    Speaking of what a 21st Century Librarian looks like, you might enjoy taking a quick look at this website.

    http://lookslikelibraryscience.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel. That made me giggle! I love that others are challenging the stereotype

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post! I found myself smiling all the way through it. Looking forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post! I found myself smiling all the way through it. Looking forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete